The FINAL scientists In the Zone are…

The last 10 weeks In the 7 – 11 Zone have been pretty intense. With 722 students having 52 ‘buzzing’ live chats and asking over 700 weird and wonderful questions.

Students and scientists have been exploring minds and bodies in motion, getting to grips with muscles, brains, bones and blood. This week’s question of the week goes to student joel252000 for asking: “Why are different people scared of different things?

And the FINAL 5 scientists are…

The finish line is now in sight, students have voted and it’s time to announce who they want to see in the final week:

Miranda Armstrong

“I look at how doing exercise and being active may change the chances of people getting ill or injured”

Helen O’Connor

“I do a mixture of scientific work (like research and writing) and practical work (using psychology to help people be better at sport or be healthier)”

Gavin Devereux

“I research and teach exercise physiology (how your body works during and after exercise), and focus on the heart and blood vessels (called the cardiovascular system).”

Alison Atkin

“I study bones and look for changes that tell us lots of things about a person, like did they have big or small muscles (were they active or lazy)!”

Alex Ireland

“Measuring how big and strong pole-vaulting pensioners, brilliant young tennis players and couch potatoes are, to find out how exercise helps keep us healthy.”

Final week!

Next week the final 5 scientists will be here to answer more student questions and have some final live chats. Students get a second vote next week, so make sure you VOTE for who you want to win!

The winning scientist will receive £500 to spend on science communication, and we can’t wait to see their great ideas turn into a reality!

We’ll be announcing the WINNER on Friday 13th July at 1.45pm!

Thank you!

A big thank you to all the scientists who have taken part. All of your hard work has helped make In the Zone a success. Teachers and students have got a lot out of the event:

Teacher Rachel Craven from Almondbury Junior School said:

I just wanted to say a huge thank you for allowing us the opportunity to chat to your scientists today. The children thoroughly enjoyed it and are already wanting to do it again next ye

Posted on July 6, 2012 by in News.